You might have noticed the Skysurfing Club’s twitter feed on the right hand side of every page of the new website. This service was set up to enable you to help your fellow club members to get to the right hill at the right time. Using this service you can easily let the club know your flying plans and the conditions on the hill. The more people that make the effort to use it, the more useful it will become. The following guide is from Tim Pentreath’s blog flyaszent.
- Go to www.twitter.com and create an account.
- Go to Settings > Mobile on your twitter page and register your mobile phone.
- Go to www.twitter.com/skysurfingclub and click the Follow button.
- When you’ve clicked the Follow button a tiny grey button showing a mobile phone inside a circle appears to the right of the green “Following” button – clicking on it means that tweets from this person will be sent to your phone as SMS messages.
- Once you’re following avonhgpg, you can send a message to the group by sending a text to 86444 (Vodafone, Orange, 3 and O2 customers) or +44 7624 800379 if you’re not on those networks by texting “d skysurfingclub your message goes here” without the quotes. eg. “d skysurfingclub Mercury, east 10mph, four flying, looks lovely!“
- You can find help on using your mobile phone for Twitter here –http://support.twitter.com/groups/34-mobile
That’s it, should only take a couple of minutes…
NB. Only phones on Vodafone, Orange, 3 and O2 networks (or other networks that piggyback on those carriers) will receive SMS updates. However you can send updates which will benefit other pilots regardless of what network you’re on.
That’s it – happy tweeting!